There is no other wedding venue like the Sheldon Museum of Art. With its gorgeous travertine interior and floor to ceiling windows, weddings hosted at the Sheldon Museum of Art have an instantly recognizable elegance and timelessness. For a couple who wants to host a more intimate and elegant wedding, the Sheldon Museum of Art is the perfect choice.
Located on the west side of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus, there is no shortage of photography opportunities and this venue can do both your ceremony and reception with simplifies your wedding day by reducing the amount you have to travel.
Here’s what you need to know about getting married at the Sheldon Museum of Art.
Brief history of the Sheldon Museum of Art
The Sheldon has been open for over 50 years and houses beautiful works of art from renown artists such as Jun Kaneko, Georgie O’Keeffe, Andy Warhol, Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen, Richard Serra, Yinka Shonibare, and Mark di Suvero.
Recently, the Sheldon opened up its space to host gorgeous intimate weddings and takes on about a dozen weddings every year.
Available space and guests that can be held
The Great Hall of the Sheldon is available for both ceremonies & receptions and can hold a maximum of 200 guests for a ceremony and 136 for a seated reception.
The outdoor lawn to the west of the building as well as the Sculpture Garden to the south of the building are available to rent for your wedding as well. The outdoor lawn can hold 300 guests
Catering & Rentals
The Sheldon has an inventory of 10 60″ round tables, a few buffet tables and 94 chairs. Being an art museum the Sheldon is very careful about pest control and as such their rentals are only available for indoor events.
Regardless of who you choose to use for rentals you will have a day of coordinator from the Sheldon on site to make sure everything goes smoothly.
The Sheldon is an active part of the UNL campus and therefore couples who wish to have catering and bar service at the museum can pick from a list of UNL approved caterers & alcohol vendors to provide food for their wedding.
– The limestone used to construct the Sheldon is very light and very porous and as such the Sheldon does not allow red wine or any dark sauces to be served on site.
– No food or beverage is not allowed in the galleries
– Food & beverage cannot be taken back and forth between the indoor and outdoor space
– The Sheldon recommends having your ceremony at 5pm due to the museum still being open to the public until that time
– Even though the Sheldon is open to the public, your vendors can still come in at 10am to set up for the day
– Decorations cannot be affixed to any surfaces in the building
– Due to the pest control concerns the Sheldon requires the use of a professional florist
– Candles must be in some sort of container
To book your wedding at the Sheldon Museum of Art for your wedding, fill out their contact form here, or contact The Sheldon directly at (402) 472-2461